Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Favorite day reprint

I posted this blog once before, but there were some issues with the pictures I had on there. They have been edited and I printed this again. Unfortunately, it only posts as you write, so I can't go back and post it where it was originally. So, if you have read it before, skip it!

********************************************************************************

I had a favorite day a few weeks ago that I have been wanting to write about, but the grumbling got in the way :) We aren't quite past the grumbling, but getting better. Lots of warm sunshine does wonders.



Anyway, it was Sunday and we had just gotten home from riding our bikes to the post chapel for Sunday service. The weather was overcast and about an hour after we got home it started to rain. It was a definite day for indoors. Problem being is that our indoors is pretty tight and we relish the chance to be out.



We did make the best of it though. It happened to be my day to bake bread. This is a relaxing time for me. As many of you know, we grind our own grain and I make my own bread. Well, in all fairness Dad and Z-man grind grain since we have a hand grinder. We brought it with us, along with a 50lb tub of wheat berries to grind. We clamp the grinder to the picnic table (thanks Jen! those clamps work great!!!) and grind away. The boys usually do enough for bread - 8 cups - and another 5-8 for the freezer to use to make cookies, cakes or whatever.



While I was doing that, the family was watching a movie. The week before we were in the same sort of predicament. School was done, rain was everywhere and we thought we would watch something. We couldn't find a thing. You know how it is, you go through the 100+ movies that you have and there isn't anything! It is kind of like when you go through your closets or the pantry and nothing jumps out at you. So.....later that week, my dear husband and I biked to the store to look for movies that were cheap that the whole family could watch. Just something new to see.



That is harder than it sounds. We had a lot of trouble. I did find Sense and Sensibility for $5, so that was cool, but not everyone agreed :) and then I discovered the "musicals" section. I grew up in NJ and my mom took us to musicals all my life. I love them. They are so fun and I always came out all happy inside, singing and dancing albeit poorly!! So I went through some of the musicals, but they were picked through and I couldn't find anything that interested me. Then I spotted Fiddler on the Roof. I don't think I have ever seen this before. Although I did sing it in 8th grade chorus!



So, to make a long story even longer.... we proceeded to watch Fiddler on the Roof - 3 hours I might add - while I baked bread. It was a great day. It was super to have the whole family under one roof enjoying something together, even if it was on the TV!



EVERYONE liked the movie! Rare treat! Even Kik likes to watch the man sing. The man who wrote it is from Ukraine, so we reminded Kik that one of "his people" wrote it. That is a direct quote from him "his people". Too funny! Anyway, it was warm and dry inside and the bread rose just like it was suppose to. The recipe I have makes three medium size loaves, so as soon as they were done we all got a taste of warm buttery bread! What a treat. Not to mention the fact that Fiddler on the Roof is now one of our family favorites. Everyone is happy because, before that, I was totally hooked on Pride and Prejudice. Pooh is my pal on that one as we both really like it and vote on putting that one in all the time. We are usually overruled.



Just another day in the life.................a most enjoyable day!!



XO Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment