Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Leavenworth

Wie Gehts! Finally, I’m in the mood for writing, sorry it took me so long. I have just finished making myself some homemade Spaetzle with leftover German gravy. Along with a glass of apple cider, I am ready to go.
I remembered looking at a Family Fun magazine while Kik was at a doctor’s appointment. I read about a place in Washington called Leavenworth, it was a replica of a little Deutsch town. I had forgotten what it was called and so I googled a little German town in Washington. I quickly found it and showed the family and we decided to take the trip one day.
We loaded into a van we were borrowing from friends, and headed through the rolling hills to Leavenworth. We drove past the Wilkommen sign to the town, the houses looked very German. After parking across from a Starbucks (I guess they couldn’t go that far) we took a stroll through Leavenworth.
They had lots of different shops, hotels and restaurants, they even had a maypole. Some of the shops just looked and were in fact very American (like starbucks!) but some were wonderfully done. They had a hat shop, wood shops, chocolate shops, a fudge factory, Nusscracker shop, a Russian shop, an Australian shop and even a huge store called Kris Kringl “where it’s Christmas all year long.” We didn’t even cover all of the shops, in the hours we stayed.
They also have Oktoberfest, although we weren’t there on the right day. I was disappointed that no one spoke German and I couldn’t use my leftover Euros while Z-man was disappointed about how expensive Schnitzel was. He ended up buying a pretzel while J-Pooh, Kik and I had some “Eis” (Ice Cream.) It was tasty, although not as good as I’ve had it. Altogether we had a great time and it brought back great memories. I myself prefer to think of myself as German, since I really don’t have a home town.
Auf Wiedersehn!
Alles Liebe Von
Toley

3 comments:

  1. Bird, You are unquestionably my favorite German. Well, maybe second to Katarina Witt, but definitely in my top two. Oh yeah, and Beethoven. So you are in the top three. I'm sure you couldn't be prouder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, thanks Unkey Wanny.
    Who in the World is Katarina Witt?
    Don't worry, I know who Beethoven is.
    ~Toley~

    ReplyDelete