Thursday, August 27, 2009

More bear tales


So, I wake up especially early (0445) which I tend to do when we want to get an early start. Since we had email/internet, I checked our blog and our rapidly diminishing finances before preparing to take the dog for a walk. Since it was still dark at 0530, I decided to start to pack up (and my dear wife didn’t want me to go out while it was still dark – she worries too much). About 6 as it was getting light, Konig and I walked towards town to check when the gas station opens. We were jogging back into town when a medium size black bear appears on the road (silly, wife o mine…)! I did as was recommended and waved my arms and yelled at the bear. He just looked at me and, I think, at Konig. Konig seemed to be sizing up the bear and ignoring my yelling at him to come so I could put his leash on. I was trying to catch him and watch the bear, who seemed interested in our activities, at the same time. Finally, I reverted to my mean voice to get the dog to allow me to grab him and put his leash on. The mean voice seemed to do the trick with the bear as well as he turned around and walked back into the woods that he had come from. Konig and I did another interval to get back to the camp site to prep to leave enroute to the Yukon Territory. Got to love AK.

~Dad

1 comment:

  1. hi, Deb here, I was thinking...if you need space for storage, we have a place under our mattress, that you lift up. Do you? Thanks for all the interesting letters and your bear sightings, YIKES !!! Love,Deb

    ReplyDelete