Monday, August 31, 2009

more thoughts from mom


Hello!

We are enjoying our time in Alaska. So much to see and do. We were here, as most of you know 16+ years ago, and a lot has changed, but some things haven't. There is still an unbelievable amount of vast wilderness like I have never seen. So much beauty. The mountains always make me smile. Plus we saw two moose crossing the road last week, which made my day! Man are they big!

OK, so some more things I have learned. One, I finally found a home I can keep pretty clean! An RV! I know, it isn't big, but it seems to be about all I can handle. I am not much of a house keeper. No matter where we live I can't seem to keep up with the mess, but in an RV, I can do it!! HA! YAHOO! I can pretty much touch every space from one spot in the middle of the room with some sort of sanitizer and broom, so all is good :)

Second, it is really nice to have another man around. Z is almost 17 and he is such a big help around the "house" He and dad get all the stuff done that usually took me and dad. It is really nice to be able to get my own things done inside and let the guys do the hard work outside. I see him in a whole new light and I like what I see. God has done a great work in him. My dear husband said to me the other day, "You know, Z is really "nice" , don't you think? He sure didn't get that from us!" HA!! SO TRUE! Anyway, I appreciate him more and more each day.

Third I don't know how people in Canada survive. Everything there is expensive. For an example: butter $2.00 a stick! YES you read that right, a stick, $4 a gallon for gas (on a good day), can of kidney beans, $4.29 - same goes for refried beans and Campbell's soup. This might not be the way it is all over Canada, but the places we drove through it was just like I said.

Fourth, in tune with number 3, we ate our cupboards bare. I was making all sorts of stuff out of what I brought along with us. We used as little butter as possible, which most of you know is a true sacrifice for my Wisconsonite husband. When we got to AK we were running almost on empty. A trip to the commissary was a joy! It is still pricey up here, but nothing like Canada.

Lastly, I realized that I really enjoy my husband being home all the time. I miss him during the day and to have him around all the time is pretty cool. God has blessed me beyond measure with a great man. I especially like it because I don't have to do all the disciplining ALL DAY LONG any more. That is a BIG bonus!

I think Pooh is writing our next blog on our travels; so look for her post soon.

Bye for now
Mom

PS I wanted to thank you all for posting your thoughts. We read them all faithfully and will try and respond, but if we don't, know that we love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading your thoughts! Always have and always will. You make me a very proud Aunt. And I now know why Diane likes Moose, her cousin does. It is all in the family! So glad to hear your doing OK, and enjoying ths beautiful country. Keep safe, keep wirting (I think your children take after you) Love to all
    Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi gforce family! Thanks for taking me to see Alaska. You made my dream come true. Mom I think you should be a comedian. You remind me of Lucy(on "Yours,Mine,And Ours" minus a few children)with your sense of humor. Thanks.Tell Kik thanks a ton for the post card and give him a great big bear hug for me. Love you all Mrs.P
    Ps Kik keep on reading!! The rest of the Gforce family awesome writing,pictures and movies. keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete